Revisions to the Visual Communication design Adjusted Study Design for 2020
Unit 3 Visual Communication Design Practices
Please note that School-assessed Task for Unit 3 has not changed.
Unit 4 Visual Communication design development, evaluation and presentation
Please note that there have been minor changes to Area of Study 1 Development, refinement and evaluation.
Please refer to the adjusted study design for 2020 for specific changes to Unit 4, but in short;
Area of Study 1
The name of the Area of Study 1 has changed to Development and Evaluation. The term refinement has been removed. The term refined has been removed from the descriptor for Area of Study 1
The description of Outcome 1 has been altered. ‘Devise a pitch to present concepts to an audience’ has been removed
There have been changes to some of the key knowledge for Outcome 1 including:
- Bullet point 10 - Removal of refining conceptual designs and replacing with developing and resolving
- Bullet point 11 removed - purposes and relevant components of a pitch
- Bullet point 12 removed – methods of delivering a pitch to present and explain resolutions to a brief
There have been changes to some of the key skills for Outcome 1 including:
- Bullet point 5 removed - devise and deliver a pitch that supports the presentation of refined concepts
- Bullet point 6 changed - Students will evaluate developed concepts rather than refined concepts
- Bullet point 7 changed - Students will reflect and evaluate concepts rather than refine concepts
- Bullet point 8 changed – students will reflect and evaluate concepts rather than refine. In light of evaluation and reflection has been removed.
Using viscomm: A Guide to Visual Communication Design VCE Units 1-4 Second Edition
These changes will impact on your teaching of chapter 8 of viscomm: A Guide to Visual Communication Design VCE Units 1-4 Second Edition. The following content is NOT required to be taught in 2020:
- Chapter 10 section 10.3 – This section can be used to help students resolve concepts rather than refine concepts.
- Chapter 10 section 10.4 – This section is not relevant.
A note on the term resolve
Students are asked to resolve rather than refine their concepts. This decision is designed to reduce the workload of students due to the circumstances of 2020. What does this look like? Students may not spend as much time in the refinement stage of the design process. Students are asked to produce two final presentations that demonstrate effective resolution of concepts and intentions that are resolved - meaning that the needs of the brief have been met.
Contribution to final assessment has not changed
School-assessed Coursework for Unit 3 will contribute 25 percent to the study score. (Total marks 100)
School-assessed Task for Unit 3 and 4 will contribute 40 percent to the study score. (Total marks 100)
External assessment – End of year examination will contribute 35 percent to the study score.
Please note that any information regarding the examination is still to be advised by VCAA.